Tuesday, January 4, 2011

It's Nice to be Appreciated!

Although it was a sad circumstance, the loss of my Father, that had me on an airplane home to the U.S. at the end of 2010 - being with family was wonderful and healing. Watching New Year's fireworks out the window of the room I shared with my Granddaughters was a wonderful memory. We "oooooohhed" and "awwwwwwwhed" - a most appreciative audience, as the neighbors unwittingly launched those colorful shooting stars right past our bedroom window.

The flight was, as always, far too long. I'm always amazed at all the passengers who are able to sleep. I usually cope with the situation by making great progress on a knitting project. International flights out of many areas of Europe don't allow knitting needles, though. Knowing this, I smuggled on a plastic crochet hook, storing it with the pens in my purse. This absolutely saved my sanity. Hence, the Sanity Saver cowl. It truly saved my skin. Without it - I surely would have been bouncing off the walls.
julies camera 013
My Granddaughter Jaydin was entranced with the project. She claimed it promptly and called it her "ascot" (Maybe it's from a recent reading of Little Women that she got that word?) She's my romantic Grandchild - a dreamer for certain.
ninjaloop1
I completed the Ninja Loop Socks and brought them to give to my son in law, but sadly, they were a bit small, as I'd feared. My oldest Granddaughter snapped them up, though - so they weren't lacking for love. I was disappointed with these, as one of the skeins turned out to have lighter/darker areas that formed a sort of striping of two shades in the finished sock.
julies camera 028
The 16 Cable Hat I'd recently completed for myself was much admired by and as a result, gifted to my daughter. It looks great on her.

The hat love grew and grew these first days of 2011. I made my Daughter in law a Pasha hat from Jane Richmond Designs and it proved so popular amongst all the cousins that I have orders for three more. This is my first project completed in the 12in2011 challenge. My oldest son and his best friend have both requested beanies. I'm thinking Koolhaas.

It's nice to be appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Julie -

    I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your father. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your Father.

    It does look like family time had it's healing effects, and your family looks great in your knitwear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie I am so sorry to hear about your Dad's death. I am not sure how I missed seeing that. Sending you warm thoughts and wishing you peaceful moments and memories that make your heart smile.

    ReplyDelete