Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Favorite London Place

I was lucky enough to enjoy a recent long weekend visit in London. The city is lovely, full of history. It's so clean, (which I found puzzling, since finding a garbage can was usually a challenge), and the people seemed so very polite and mannerly. I loved how you could go anywhere in a heartbeat with a few pounds and a hop on the tube. A truly refined Metropolis. This place worked.
We walked all over the city at night and tried out a couple excellent local pubs. Whoever said the English don't have delicious cuisine should try the carrot and thyme soup we enjoyed with crusty bread. It was pretty delicious in our estimation.

And my favorite London place to visit? Hands down : Loop Yarn Store!
Now this, my friends, is a yarn store. All the Woolmeise and Madeline Tosh you can carry resides in that colorful place, and luckily enough - they feature their local dye artists as well. The staff are friendly and just the perfect amount of helpful. There are unusual little yarny gifty things you haven't seen everywhere, along with plenty of recent books and places to sit and peruse them. Original artsy things are tucked into all the corners. I must admit to having the compulsion to zip a bit of that shop into my suitcase to take home with me.

Thanks Loop, for the lovely afternoon. You are just the artful sort of shop I would have imagined in fashionable and smart London.

3 comments:

  1. My favorite Knitting mag is a British one. I see the ads for Loop every month. I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the name of your fave knitting mag, Ria?

    ReplyDelete