Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Time Travel

I've spent my first few weeks in Athens sightseeing. Some notable sites to see include ancient ruins such as the Acropolis, The Parthenon, The Temple of Poseidon. Wandering through these ancient sites is absolutely surreal. One can't help but imagine the civilizations that created them and question how in the world they managed to acomplish this massive feat without any mechanized equipment. Think of it: Huge slabs of marble were somehow hoisted hundreds of feet in the air and fitted in place atop giant pillars. I can only shake my head in amazement.

And yes, I've seen pictures of these structures in books. But being here is so very different, so much more engaging.


Wonder just sort of washes over me as I pick my way through these ruins and walk over stone paths that Socrates, Plato and our other toga clad, olive leaf crowned ancestors walked. I could stay at these sites for hours, time traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment