Monday, July 26, 2010

What I Wish I Could Put On a Care Label


Dear Daughter,

I know you have the impression that socks are inexpensive, easily obtained items, but these I’m presenting to you are very special socks – magical, in a sense. Each hour spent knitting them were spent with Mom thinking of you, daydreaming about how you might wear them and how they would improve your life and add comfort to your tired, chilly feet. They’re infused with Mom’s best intentions, and loving regard for you. When you pull on these love drenched socks, your soul, along with your feet will be warmed and comforted. They’re made of a high quality wool, blended with nylon for long wearing. Your Mom dyed this yarn with Easter Egg dye tablets in her crock pot in her kitchen. When she saw the color, she knew they had to become socks for you because the delicious shade of green, along with the blues reminded her of the cool Washington forest and the drizzling raindrops you long to experience again.

Care: This wool is machine washable. However, your Mom spent many hours with her smeary bifocals perched on the end of her nose, creating these socks with little tiny stitches on toothpick sized needles. You'll worry that if they were thrown in the washing machine, one might get lost or mangled by a nearby zipper. Because you’ll treasure all your Mom’s hard work, you’ll more likely want to wash these by hand, in the sink by swishing them through soapy water, rinsing, then shaping them out on a towel to dry. Shampoo works nicely to wash them with. After all, wool is simply sheep hair, is it not?

You may wear these in shoes, or simply around the house on chilly days because I assure you, my cotton loving, southwestern raised, wool naïve daughter - your feet have never been more toasty than they will be wrapped in wool on a cold day. I hope you enjoy them just a fraction as much as I enjoyed creating them for you.

All my love, daughter. Always.

2 comments:

  1. Awww. I think that would be a beautiful letter to present with the gift. I think your daughter would appreciate it greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your nice comment. I know she will just love the socks when she gets them, although she'd definately give me an eyeroll if I gave her the long note along with them. (I'm known in my family for being a bit dramatic). But I know other knitters understand the impulse! :-)

    ReplyDelete