Monday, July 19, 2010

The Lord of the Rings


This beautiful yarn is called Tolkien. It was part of my package in the recent kit swap organized in the My Other Hobby Swap group on Ravelry. There's a fun bunch of people there. Lots of talented, ultra crafty people who do various other hobbies besides knitting and crochet. Just off the top of my head, I can think of basketweaving, card making, scrapbooking, spinning, jewelry making, dyeing, pottery, quilting, mixed media, and oil painting for heaven's sake.

This is a fun group to belong to because one of the features of every swap is that your package must include something you make for your partner using your other hobby. Given the varied things people do - you never know what sorts of wonderful things you might receive!

My partner, Lauren - Lolabella on Ravelry, sews and makes jewelry, so I was lucky enough to get some really cool things including two sewn items - one of them a bag, (and you know how I love bags!) She picked a fabric that on sight made my heart go thumpity thump. A super cute folk artsy leaf and tree pattern fabric from which she made both a sling bag and a much needed dpn needle roll. She even stamped leaves on the interior fabric using a stamp she carved from a potato! Talk about crafty!


The Tolkien yarn, forest-y fabric, and even the tiny little sterling and copper ring stitch markers screamed the Lord of the Rings. She also included the Aestlight Shawl pattern - one I've wanted to add to my knitted wardrobe since I first saw it. What a pleasure this will be to knit now - with the theme of this classic trilogy running through the rows. I'm so taken with the theme that I'm going to listen to the story on audiobook as I knit. An old beloved tale knit into a wonderful new shawl. Thanks to my English pal Lauren, I'll enjoy every stitch. That girl sure knows how to rock a theme!

1 comment:

  1. That's an awesome swap package - can't wait to see the shawl!

    ReplyDelete