Saturday, February 13, 2010

Party Cupcakes

For some reason I can't explain, I'm intrigued by the idea of edible yarn - colors I can combine to remind me of some sort of food. Maybe it's because I'm using food safe colors: koolaid and Wilton's icing dyes. At any rate, it's fun, and gives the fiber enthusiast some instant gratification. I can burn through quite a bit of yarn this way. Check out this eye candy of a tutorial at Kathryn Ivy for using Easter Egg Dyes. I'll be stocking up next month to give that a try.

This is my Valentine's yarn. I created it for a tea party swap, thinking of the colorful party cupcakes in the grocery store bakery section. I used both koolaid and Wilton's. If you dyed any Valentine yarn this month, please share! I'd love to have a look - I'm just such a sucker for a project theme.

4 comments:

  1. Totally understand what you mean by edible colours - yours look amazing here. As a relatively new knitter, I haven't really thought about dyeing my own yarn but your posts have opened my eyes to this. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julie for the Kool-Aids =O) I promise I will try to dye some yarn this summer. Yarn dyeing sounds like the stuff which is ment to be done at our summer cottage =o)
    Love, Hanna from Finland

    ReplyDelete
  3. A summer cottage, vacation from work and yarn dyeing sound like heaven, Hanna!

    Thanks for the compliment, Dunderknit! Love your blog - your knitting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy looking yarn! I haven't done any dyeing in a few months, but I might join you in the Easter Egg dyeing next month...

    ReplyDelete