Thursday, February 18, 2010

Olympic Sock Knitting


I'm chugging along on my Ravelympics project. Fingering weight socks on 2.25 mm needles in 17 days. Yeah. What was I thinking?

I've long admired these Hedgerow Socks. I like the feel of a sock that hugs my foot and these improve on a basic k4 p2 ribbing with an interesting pattern that makes me think of neat little rows lined up in a garden. (I'm still brainstorming a suitably clever, garden-y type name).

I'm using Needle Food Sock yarn in the Sweet Chilli colorway. This yarn brought it's squooshy little self all the way from New Zealand to live with me. Well, to be accurate, a Ravelry friend Lisa helped it on its' way packed in a beautiful red and white themed swap package. I've found it almost impossible to recreate the true colors in digital photography - the red/pink/orange variations are much deeper and richer than the picture reflects. Add the yarn's squoosh factor to the bouncey, stretchy ribs of the project and it's a true joy to knit. The simplicity of the pattern allows me to memorize it so I can actually watch some Olympics too. Good stuff.

Soooo...I've turned the heel and am decreasing the gussets, alternating between the two socks on dpn's so they stay close to each other in progress. It's sort of like hitting the 7 mile mark in the half marathon. I'm beginning to fight to keep my motivation. I need a refresher. Other projects are calling to me, giving me excuses to think about quitting.

But no. I can do this. I've got my eye on the finisher's medal.

2 comments:

  1. Those socks look so yummy. And the color, I just love it. I also love the picture of pomegranates for your blog. I love pomegranates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meg! I have pomegranates in my backyard. Next fall I'll mail you some. Really! Just remind me come November. :-)

    ReplyDelete